Tuesday, March 12, 2013 – 8:00 PM
Skirball Cultural Center – Magnin Auditorium
2701 N. Sepulveda Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90049
On the Chocolate Trail:
A Delicious Adventure Connecting Jews, History, Travel,
Religion and Rituals to the Magic of Cacao
Explore the surprising Jewish connections to chocolate
During this gastronomic talk for chocolate-lovers of all backgrounds, writer and educator Rabbi Deborah Prinz will share stories of Jews in the early chocolate trade and examine into how Jews, Pre-Columbians, Catholics, and Protestants all connected through chocolate’s religious rituals and narratives. Also find out how chocolate outed the Jews in Mexico after the Inquisition, why Israelis are meshuga for chocolate, and more. A Q&A and book signing of Prinz’s new book, On the Chocolate Trail, follow the program.
Reservations required! Every JGSLA member can invite one guest for free – yes, two free tickets, and after that the price is $11.50 each. Our Discount Code is 99780. You must register yourself. Please don’t contact JGSLA staff to make your reservations. If you have to cancel, however, you may contact Pamela Weisberger at firstname.lastname@example.org
Rabbi Prinz currently serves the Central Conference of American Rabbis as Director of Program and Member Services and the Director of the Joint Commission on Rabbinic Mentoring, having held a number of leadership positions in the national and regional Reform movement. She was honored to conduct the worship services at regional and national biennials of the Union for Reform Judaism. Deborah R. Prinz’s book, Jews on the Chocolate Trail, was published in 2012 by Jewish Lights. She was awarded a Starkoff Fellowship and a Director’s Fellowship from the American Jewish Archives as well as a Gilder Lehrman Fellowship from the Rockefeller Library to pursue this research. She has lectured on this topic around the country in a number of settings, including historical societies, JCC’s, rabbinical associations, synagogue groups, food conferences. Elected by her colleagues, Rabbi Prinz held each office of the Board of the Pacific Association of Reform Rabbis and assumed its presidency in 2005. For many years she served as a member of the Executive Committee of the U.R.J.-C.C.A.R. Commission on Outreach & Synagogue Community. The Rabbi Emerita of Temple Adat Shalom, Poway, California, she served as its Senior Rabbi for almost twenty years. Prior to that she was, for seven years, the Rabbi of a synagogue in Bergen County, New Jersey, and also the Assistant Rabbi of Central Synagogue in Manhattan. She has delivered many talks to community organizations. Rabbi Prinz is married to Rabbi Mark Hurvitz and is the proud mother of Avigail, Noam & Rachel.
HERE ARE THE RESERVATION INSTRUCTIONS:
- Go to http://www.skirball.org/programs/readings-talks/deborah-prinz (or link from home page: www.Skirball.org via their Calendar or “What’s on” section.
- Click the blue “Buy Tickets Online” button on that page to go to the ticketing site.
- Click the quantity of tickets you would like on the arrow box. Click “Add to Cart.”
- NOTE: JGSLA or Skirball members get a discount for up to 2 free tickets. Any additional will be charged regular fee of $10 each, plus $1.50 service charge ($11.50 each total.)
- Click on “My Account” to log in to the Skirball ticketing system. YOU MUST BE LOGGED IN TO PURCHASE TICKETS!
- NOTE: If you have already completed a profile based on previous programs, log in with your user name and password. If you don’t already have a profile, click on “New User – Complete and Account” to complete the “Personal Details and Address Information” lines that are marked with an asterisk. If you have an account, but forgot your password, click “Forgot Password” link and it will send you a reset email message right away. You can also phone them for help during business hours.
- Once logged into the member section, click on “Cart” and on the “Complete Order” page, click on the “Click Here to Redeem Discount Coupons” box.
- That click will bring up a small box where you will type in the 5 digit coupon ID (in this case it is 99780). After typing in the code, click the purple “Add Coupon” button to the right next to the Order Summary table at the far right.
- That should apply the discount ($11.50 per ticket, max of 2) and if you have additional tickets in this transaction you will need to type in your credit card to cover the rest of the transaction.
- The $1.50 service fees are included in this discount and should be waived for this discounted transaction. You should print your transaction or save to your computer to verify that it has gone through.
NOTE: Please do NOT share this discount code with anyone else. The JGLSA will check our current membership list and any name reserving tickets with this discount code who is NOT a JGSLA member will be contacted to have their free tickets canceled.
- If you are a current Skirball Member, this JGSLA discount code will not work, our system will only recognize one discount and Membership is considered a discount status in this ticketing system.
- Don’t worry if the item count says 3 when you’ve ordered only two tickets. The extra number reflects the free service fee you’ve received. Make sure to print up your order so you are certain it went through!
- If you have any problems, call the Skirball Ticketing Office during business hours: 310-440-4500